Ale House History

The Portsmouth Brewing Company was first established in 1871 as the Harris & Mathes Company. By 1873, the brewery was operated by Arthur Harris, and by 1876, it was renamed for the final time as the Portsmouth Brewing Company. The building which houses the Ale House Inn was used as a warehouse for the brewery. Thousands of kegs once rested here as they underwent fermentation. You will notice the foot thick brick walls that were built to keep the beer at the same temperature 365 days a year. While little is known about this brewery, and despite being dwarfed in publicity by its two larger rivals (The Frank Jones & Eldredge Breweries) it still managed to brew a fine product. Small, but feisty, the company advertised a wide variety of products including “India, Pale, Stock and Cream Ales, Hop Beer and Old Brown Stout” plus the uniquely named Portsburger Lager. Like many breweries, the company ceased operations in 1917 with the ratification of Prohibition.

About Portsmouth

 wide_history 

Portsmouth, New Hampshire Weather

Find more about Weather in Portsmouth, NH
Click for weather forecast